Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to distinguish kaposis from a bruise
Mar 2, 2001

How can you tell the difference between ks and a "brown" bruise? Does the ks lesion stay on the skin for a while, or does it - like a bruise - disappear after two or days and leave a green or yellow color on the skin? I guess I'm looking for an estimate - if a patient gets a lesion on the leg, how long does it stay there? Will it disappear on its own, or does it have to be removed? I have also heard that ks can easily be mistaken for a bruise, because some people only get one spot. I'm doing some research for an article, and haven't been able to find this information anywhere.

Response from Dr. Dezube

KS lesions can indeed look like bruises. HOWEVER, bruises tend to fade on their own after a week or so (sometimes longer for big bruises). KS lesions tend not to fade. If however, an AIDS patient takes anti-retroviral medications (i.e. HIV medications), then the KS lesions can fade as the patient's CD4 count rises and the viral load falls. I would recommend that a health care provide evaluate lesions, which look like bruises, but do not go away; often a biopsy of these lesions is necessary. It is not unusual to see KS lesions mistaken for bruises. I hope this helps. BD.

Previous
swollen glands
Next
What does kaposi's sarcoma look like??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.