AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Help Please!! -Advanced Kaposi's Sarcoma in Young Female

Doctor, My daughter is a patient at Beth Israel in NYC. She has AIDS and Kaposi's Sarcoma. The lesions are external and internal; on her larynx, trachea and suspected to be in her lungs now. She has had to have a tracheotomy to help her breathe. The cancer is spreading rapidly but she has not been able start on chemotherapy yet because she developed a blood infection that is not under control. Ironically, the infection was caused by the port that was inserted to administer the chemo. Her AIDS went untreated for a long time and her T-cell count is still very low (4) Can you recommend a colleague at Beth Israel in NYC who has expertise in KS? As an expert in the field, are you available to consult with her oncologist there? I am desperate. She is only 29.

Response from Dr. Dezube

My heart goes out to you and your daughter. Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) usually responds very nicely to chemotherapy. I would probably recommend that your daughter start on chemotherapy even as she is on antibiotics and other medications. The chemotherapy typically goes well with the various HIV drugs. Given her external and internal lesions, I would recommend that she receive either a liposomal drug (Doxil or DaunoXome) or Taxol. If her white cells are low, then she may also need G-CSF, an agent which boosts white cells. She should also be on potent anti-viral therapy for her HIV. She may do quite well. I would be more than happy to talk to her oncologist. The National Cancer Institute has put together a consortium of AIDS oncologists (called AIDS Malignancy Consortium) There are several in NYC. You can access their website as follows: http://www.amc.uab.edu Click on the clinical investigators option on their menu. GOOD LUCK. Let me know if I can be of further help. BD.

What is AIDS?
New information in Colorado