Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help Please!! -Advanced Kaposi's Sarcoma in Young Female
Mar 2, 2001

Doctor, My daughter is a patient at Beth Israel in NYC. She has AIDS and Kaposi's Sarcoma. The lesions are external and internal; on her larynx, trachea and suspected to be in her lungs now. She has had to have a tracheotomy to help her breathe. The cancer is spreading rapidly but she has not been able start on chemotherapy yet because she developed a blood infection that is not under control. Ironically, the infection was caused by the port that was inserted to administer the chemo. Her AIDS went untreated for a long time and her T-cell count is still very low (4) Can you recommend a colleague at Beth Israel in NYC who has expertise in KS? As an expert in the field, are you available to consult with her oncologist there? I am desperate. She is only 29.

Response from Dr. Dezube

My heart goes out to you and your daughter. Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) usually responds very nicely to chemotherapy. I would probably recommend that your daughter start on chemotherapy even as she is on antibiotics and other medications. The chemotherapy typically goes well with the various HIV drugs. Given her external and internal lesions, I would recommend that she receive either a liposomal drug (Doxil or DaunoXome) or Taxol. If her white cells are low, then she may also need G-CSF, an agent which boosts white cells. She should also be on potent anti-viral therapy for her HIV. She may do quite well. I would be more than happy to talk to her oncologist. The National Cancer Institute has put together a consortium of AIDS oncologists (called AIDS Malignancy Consortium) There are several in NYC. You can access their website as follows: http://www.amc.uab.edu Click on the clinical investigators option on their menu. GOOD LUCK. Let me know if I can be of further help. BD.

Previous
What is AIDS?
Next
New information in Colorado

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.