AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

small lymph node in neck

I was told by my PCP that I had a small lymph node which was small but palpable. It has been there for months. I recently tested negative at 17 weeks(4 months) and i am still in the CDC's window period. Why won't this go away? Also are there obvious signs of lymphoma -- the skin on my neck looks strange and discolored to me. Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

The majority of lymph nodes represent your body trying to fight off infection. If you are HIV-negative, then in time, the lymph node should decrease in size. Sometimes, however, lymph nodes persist. If you turn out to be HIV-positive, often the lymph nodes stay indefinitely. If the lymph node either gets bigger or if you want just peace of mind, then the next step would be to have the lymph node biopsied. A lymph node biopsy is a relatively minor procedure. The lymph node can then be examined by the pathologist for signs of cancer or infection. If your lymph nodes remains small, I wouldn't do too much for it now. However, as noted above, "when in doubt, take it out". BD.

Kaposi's Sarcoma
Help, my brother in law has AIDS/lymphoma test