AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Should I worry about a freckle like lesion

I have many freckles on my body, especially my arms and shoulders. Months ago, I noticed a freckle on my left forearm that was a bit larger than the rest (about 1/4 inch in diameter). It was light brown in color, as the rest of them. A few days ago, however, I noticed that this mark had become much more pronounced, darker and slightly raised. I treated it with a steroid cream, and it is no longer raised. It seems to have faded some, but is still there. My question is, would KS or any other type of skin cancer have reacted to a topical steroid cream in the manner I have described? I'm extremely worried about this.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's hard to know what you have without a biopsy. I can't tell from your question whether or not you are HIV positive. It would be useful to know this. In terms of steroid cream, KS lesions typically do NOT respond to steroid creams. In fact, KS lesions can get worse from steroid creams. BD.

lymphoma; Neuropathies from vincristine
Is Hodgkin's disease an AIDS-defining illness?