AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

lymphoma; Neuropathies from vincristine

Dr Dezube; I am currently been treated with MACOP-B weekly for an advanced lymphoma and responding very well to treatment,I am down to the last 4 chemotherapy treatments.And feel well except for the side effects caused by the chemo drugs. The vincristine has caused my hands to become extremely painful and I was wondering what do you recommend to your patents to alleviate this pain.My own Doctor said that it will eventually resolve on its own and i don't like to complain because I want to keep a positive outlook but Dr. Dezube, sometimes it get's so bad I just what to scream.I've tried tylenol and a hot water bottle but that doesn't really help.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you are responding well to treatments and that the end is in site. What you are describing is neuropathies caused by vincristine. If they are bad enough, I would recommend that you NOT receive any more vincristine. This should not jeopardize your excellent chance of being cured from this type of lymphoma. It is quite common for me to hold vincristine in my patients as they are nearing the finish line. I would suggest that your oncologist speak to your HIV doctor. You may need to stop taking any HIV-meds, which can aggravate the neuropathies [such as d4T (Zerit) or ddI (Videx)] during these last few treatments. You can always start back on them later. If you continue to take vincristine and HIV drugs which aggravate neuropathies, then sometimes the neuropathies don't resolve on their own.

As for pain management, I usually give my patients percocet. But beware, if you do take percocet, it can cause constipation particularly in patients who have received vincristine.

Good luck. BD.

Hiv: combivir and sustiva
Should I worry about a freckle like lesion