|PET scan for relapsed Hodgkin's; How accurate is it? What are my chances?
Oct 18, 2002
had hodgkins 4 years ago,only mantle field radiation. Feel sick all the time, fevers,night sweats and lost 25 lbs. Recent petscan showed hyper activity in mediastinum,abdominal aorta and numerous left iliac nodes. Had one iliac node taken out, showed reactive tissue. My Dr. saids I have Hodgkin's again. All the nodes measure 1.5 cm and have not grown in 3 months. Just had bone marrow done and another PET scan. How accurate are the PET scans and can lymph nodes in these areas that are small be taken out again? I also have left hip pain and lower back pain. Could the nodes not grow but spread to bone marrow?
Response from Dr. Dezube
Your situation is indeed a bit worrisome. I would just make two important points--
1) Although PET scans are indeed quite good, I never would treat a patient for relapsed Hodgkin's disease without a biospy to prove that s/he has it. On occasion (and I can certainly remember such occasions), the scans can deceive. I would imagine that you need another biopsy unless your bone marrow examination is conclusive.
2) If you were to have relapsed Hodgkin's disease, you chances are still quite good, in fact, they are excellent. It sounds like you have never had chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is very effective for Hodgkin's disease.
So my message to you, is to do whatever it takes to get a definitive diagnosis of what's happening and then act accordingly. Please write back if and when you find out more.
And yes, Hodgkin's disease can spread to the bone marrow even if your lymph nodes have not grown.
HIV-positive with a fear of medical procedures-- what should I do?
HIV Bile Duct
- Candidiasis Of The Esophagus Trachea Bronchi Or Lungs?
- Can Two Men That Don't Have Hiv Or Any Other Std Still Get Hiv From Unprotected Sex?
- Why Are Some People Diagnosed As False Positive For Hepatitis C?
- Are Joint Pain Or Menstrual Abnormalities Symptoms Of Hepatitis C?
- Hiv Rapid Test
- Cd4 Lymph Abs
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.