Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV-positive with a fear of medical procedures-- what should I do?
Oct 18, 2002

Dear Dr,

There is a tender mass on the left hand side of my belly. Also I have swollen lower legs. Is this indicitive of something? I have avoided tests etc because of a genuine fear of medical procedures. I have been hiv+ for 16 years and have anemia and diabetes. Also I am female. My stools have become very thin.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

A tender mass and change in stool (bowel movement) should indeed lead to further evaluation. Although I can't say which procedure I would do first, a change in bowel habit often leads to a colonscopy (evaluation of your colon). Many patients share this fear of medical procedures. Did you have a bad experience at some point? You need to muster up the strength to undergo procedures. Do you have a friend/family member who can accompany you? Do you have a counselor with whom you can discuss this situation? Can you find a sympathetic provider who can work with you and your fear? If your fear prevents you from getting the medical attention which you need, then little problems can often escalate into big problems. Please seek help.

Previous
armpit nodes follow-up; my physician says not to worry; should I get a second opinion?
Next
PET scan for relapsed Hodgkin's; How accurate is it? What are my chances?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.