AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Biopsy Lymph Node Left Neck = Metastatic Tumor

Pathology report states a poorly-differentiated carcinoma in Jun 96 but no primary site has ever been found. MRI, CAT Scan, Bone Scan shows nothing. Melanoma (unrelated) removed in May 98. 53 yrs HIV+ in Dec 92. CD4 stays in 500 range VL up at last test 2000 due to stress related to having to purchase co-op unit I think. Taking Invirase, Epivir, Acyclovir and pain med for Neuropathy in calves and feet. I also have GERD per endoscopy during search for primary. Also erectile impairment. The complete pathology report reads like a death sentence. What do you make of all of this? Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Dezube

Poorly differentiated carcinoma is indeed a serious diagnosis. HOWEVER, it may not necessarily be as bad as you think. A lot depends on where it is and how it has been and is being treated. You state that the pathology report is from Jun 96. If this is the case, do you have any evidence of active disease? Usually this type of cancer is treated with a platinum-based chemotherapy if there's any evidence of spread. Some of these tumors are very sensitive to therapy. I'm assuming you saw at some point an oncologist. What did (s)he recommend? I would need to know more details to give you a better take of this all.

acyclovir as a preventative for AID related lymphoma
Lumps and bumps under jaw