Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Big Mistake
Mar 2, 2001

I am a heterosexual male, married 22 years. November 16, angry at my wife, I had unprotected sex with a female acquaintance and immediatly regretted it! Later I found out she was bi-sexual and preferred anal sex from gay men. All of December I have had a sore throat, swollen glands around the jaw and under the arms, white spots in my throat, horrible night sweats and the runs all the time. I have lost 14 lbs, and my whole body just seems to tingle all the time. The 26th of December I saw my Dr. and was tested for HIV and Strep. Both tests came back negative. Was this enough time before being tested? There also seems to be a bad case of the flu going around, but no one else seems to have it as bad. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever done and would recommend to anyone DONT DO IT! Can you offer any recommendations, things for me to do and watch out for?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I am posting your letter since no one speaks better than someone who has been there. You will still need to be tested again for HIV at approximately 3 months time (mid-February). Until that time, you would be best advised to use condoms when you have sex with your wife (or any other sex partner). If you are regretting this all now, then you will doubly regret this if you bring HIV into your marriage.

If you health care provider suspects a primary HIV infection (i.e. a new infection), then there are tests other than the antibody test, which can give him (her) a clue as to what's going on. The p24 test and the HIV-1 viral load test will be positive before the standard HIV antibody test turns positive.

Let's keep our fingers crossed until the repeat testing comes back. BD.

Previous
please help-freaked out; red mark on skin
Next
choices other than CHOP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.