AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

declining CD4s with chemotherapy

Dr's, While the VL is undetectable does Lymphoma cause the CD4's to decline? My friend had lymphoma a year ago and started with CD4s of 80 and came through chemo and they went up to 280, they've recently dropped to below 2200 and his doc says it could be back. I thought if you came out fine and returned to health it wouldn't come back if the VL was undetectable?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although I can't necessarily answer your question since your wrote that CD4s dropped below 2200 (is this a typographical error on your part?), I will address the issue of CD4 counts and chemo, as this is an important issue. The type of chemotherapy, which is given to lymphoma patients, does typically suppress CD4 counts. The good news is that once the course of chemotherapy is completed, the CD4 counts will rise.

So how do we follow patients on anti-retroviral therapy, who are also receiving chemotherapy? What we do is we follow viral loads. In a patient, who is receiving chemotherapy, if (s)he is on a good anti-retroviral regimen, the viral load should fall even if the CD4 count does not rise.

prevention for neutropenia and possible infections
Thanks for your web site!