Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is CMV contagious? Am I contagious to unborn children?
Oct 11, 2002

The "opportunistic infections" page does not have a "Ask A Question" link.

I have been diagnosed and treated for Immnune System Recovery Uveitis with a secondary CMV Retinitis. My best friend is pregnant. Is my CMV contagious to her unborn child?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You could indeed be contagious to an unborn child. Given your diagnosis of CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection, you are no doubt shedding CMV into your urine. Your friend could get tested to see if she's immune to CMV. This would entail getting a CMV antibody test (CMV IgG). If your friend is immune to this test, then you need not worry about infecting her unborn child. If she is not immune to CMV, then that could present a problem to you.

Previous
should family members be screened for anal cancer as well?
Next
KS related clarifications needed!! What causes it? how is it spread? ...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.