AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Is CMV contagious? Am I contagious to unborn children?

The "opportunistic infections" page does not have a "Ask A Question" link.

I have been diagnosed and treated for Immnune System Recovery Uveitis with a secondary CMV Retinitis. My best friend is pregnant. Is my CMV contagious to her unborn child?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You could indeed be contagious to an unborn child. Given your diagnosis of CMV (cytomegalovirus) infection, you are no doubt shedding CMV into your urine. Your friend could get tested to see if she's immune to CMV. This would entail getting a CMV antibody test (CMV IgG). If your friend is immune to this test, then you need not worry about infecting her unborn child. If she is not immune to CMV, then that could present a problem to you.

should family members be screened for anal cancer as well?
KS related clarifications needed!! What causes it? how is it spread? ...