AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HELP: small lymph node in neck.................................

I am the one with the small lymph node in the neck of a few days ago-17 weeks negative ...............for now.... Well I just got home from the Dr and he discovered 3 or 4 small nodes in the neck one of which was painful and he referred me to an oncologist. Now the question is is this hiv already -???????????????????? They say confirm a 3 month EIA antibody with a 6 month . What am I doing ? Decided to get an antibody test done at 3- 4- 5-6 months to see where or what will happen. Can this be happening like this? I am not even positive FOR SURE and I can tell which way this is heading. By the way in Canada I read on the other forum they do not go past 3 months in an hiv diagnosis -what is going on in the US?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's hard to comment about your HIV status. I imagine that you are HIV negative, but I agree with your health care providers who are recommending that you check your status at 3 months, and possible also at 6 months. Enlarged lymph nodes are very very common. Not all lymph node swelling represents HIV or cancer. In fact, the majority of swollen lymph nodes in a typical medical practice are simply due to a patient fighting a viral infection (a viral infection other than HIV). HOWEVER, If one or two lymph nodes are particularly large, when compared to other lymph nodes, then they should be biopsied. Also if a lymph node persists when all the other lymph nodes disappear, then the persistent lymph node may need to be biopsied. Typically most lymph nodes, if they are due to a viral infection (other than HIV) will wax and wane (i.e. come and go). BD.

Tired of it all! (chemotherapy for lymphoma)
Sexual No penetration infection