AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

kaposi sarcoma- radiation stopped working

I have kaposi sarcoma have been thru radiation but they seem to be coming more and more is there any treatment that can stop them or keep them in check. please help me. leo

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Leo:

Are you on potent anti-retroviral therapy? The more you can get your CD4 count up and your viral load down, the easier it will be to control your KS. You may be a candidate for chemotherapy. There are several options, all of which have an excellent benefit-to-risk ratio. The easiest drugs to tolerate are the liposomal products called DaunoXome and Doxil. These drugs tend to concentrate in KS lesions. By concentrating in KS lesions, these drugs kill the tumor cells without harming your vital organs (such as the liver and so on). Typically they don't cause patients to lose their hair. I would suggest that you see an oncologist, preferably one with some experience in treating patients with KS. Good luck. BD

Adequacy of Antibody Test
HIV negative, but AIDS related cancer