Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New trials or existing treatments for high grade nhl
Mar 2, 2001

I would like to know, as someone resident in UK, what existing treatments there are for high grade non hodgkins lymphoma (specifically anaplastic null cell if possible) and also details of any clinical trials taking place in the USA and around the world. I would be interested in success rates for remission and cure of the above.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The standard of care is CHOP and it's a reasonably good standard. It has been compared to many other regimens and has been found to offer a better benefit-to-risk ratio. There are several investigational approaches, which may turn out to be better than CHOP; only time will tell. It is too early to embrace these approaches. The two approaches being tested in large cooperative group setting are 1) Addition of rituximab (rituxan). This is a monoclonal antibody which targets lymphoma antigens. Studies are comparing CHOP with and without rituxan in AIDS-related lymphoma

2) Infusional therapy. Typically CHOP is given as a bolus (given over the course of a few hours). Some chemotherapy regimens claim to have a better response rate by infusing the drugs over a course of days (typically 5 days); Two such commonly used regimens are EPOCH and CDE. Only a randomized trial will tell whether either of these two infusional regimens are superior to CHOP.

Many, many other investigators are testing other regimens. (e.g. some investigators are substituting Doxil for doxorubicin, one of the agents in CHOP). So my list is hardly inclusive of all the regimens, but it should give you an idea as to the approaches.

A good source of information is the AIDS Malignancy Consortium of the NCI.

Previous
HIV negative, can I have internal KS?
Next
Adequacy of Antibody Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.