AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

New trials or existing treatments for high grade nhl

I would like to know, as someone resident in UK, what existing treatments there are for high grade non hodgkins lymphoma (specifically anaplastic null cell if possible) and also details of any clinical trials taking place in the USA and around the world. I would be interested in success rates for remission and cure of the above.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The standard of care is CHOP and it's a reasonably good standard. It has been compared to many other regimens and has been found to offer a better benefit-to-risk ratio. There are several investigational approaches, which may turn out to be better than CHOP; only time will tell. It is too early to embrace these approaches. The two approaches being tested in large cooperative group setting are 1) Addition of rituximab (rituxan). This is a monoclonal antibody which targets lymphoma antigens. Studies are comparing CHOP with and without rituxan in AIDS-related lymphoma

2) Infusional therapy. Typically CHOP is given as a bolus (given over the course of a few hours). Some chemotherapy regimens claim to have a better response rate by infusing the drugs over a course of days (typically 5 days); Two such commonly used regimens are EPOCH and CDE. Only a randomized trial will tell whether either of these two infusional regimens are superior to CHOP.

Many, many other investigators are testing other regimens. (e.g. some investigators are substituting Doxil for doxorubicin, one of the agents in CHOP). So my list is hardly inclusive of all the regimens, but it should give you an idea as to the approaches.

A good source of information is the AIDS Malignancy Consortium of the NCI.

HIV negative, can I have internal KS?
Adequacy of Antibody Test