AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HIV negative, can I have internal KS?

Just read that you can get KS from herpes 8 virus. Can it be manifested in women who are still HIV negative -- 14 weeks -- by symptoms beside the skin marks? I heard that it can attack the GI system. can it cause constipation or swelling of the body in a generalized manner?

Response from Dr. Dezube

KS is indeed caused by the human herpesvirus-8 (also known as Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus). It is unusual to get KS internally without have skin lesions, though this does happen on occasion. It is also unusual to get KS if you are HIV negative, but this also happens on occasion. I doubt very much you have internal KS given your circumstances. You will have to look for an alternative explanation for your constipation. BD.

Blood Centers- can I get AIDS by donating blood?
New trials or existing treatments for high grade nhl