AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Swollen lymph node- immobilized by fear

Tested with Elisa at 14 weeks -negative. Really immobilized by HIV fear syndrome. Dr found a couple (how many are there anyway???) lymph nodes L-side of neck. Being sent to an oncologist - When I tell him the facts will he do an hiv test on the lymph nodes if he biopsies or whatever oncologists do? Will the oncologist get mad because I am going to him for this instead of an infectious dr? I did not tell Dr # 1 the "whole story" and he found nothing except a little inflammation( still in normal range) as he was arthritis/rheumatoid dr. HELP.....................................................

Response from Dr. Dezube

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get solid information. If your doctor feels you need to be HIV tested, then indeed you should probably be tested. Usually lymph nodes are sent to a pathologist, who examines the lymph node. Typically the pathologist does NOT do an "HIV test" on the lymph node. Rather the pathologist looks at the lymph node for signs of infection or cancer. Sometimes a pathologist can surmise that a patient has HIV based on the way the lymph node appears. As for your concern at upsetting a doctor because you saw one vs. another, I can only say that it would be most unlikely that you will piss him off. I obviously can't guarantee this since I don't know your doctor. Patients are often very concerned about seeking opinions. It has been my experience that most (but not all) doctors are NOT bothered by this.

Good luck. BD

Declining CD4s from chemotherapy.
Impact of alcohol consumption