The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen lymph node- immobilized by fear
Mar 2, 2001

Tested with Elisa at 14 weeks -negative. Really immobilized by HIV fear syndrome. Dr found a couple (how many are there anyway???) lymph nodes L-side of neck. Being sent to an oncologist - When I tell him the facts will he do an hiv test on the lymph nodes if he biopsies or whatever oncologists do? Will the oncologist get mad because I am going to him for this instead of an infectious dr? I did not tell Dr # 1 the "whole story" and he found nothing except a little inflammation( still in normal range) as he was arthritis/rheumatoid dr. HELP.....................................................

Response from Dr. Dezube

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get solid information. If your doctor feels you need to be HIV tested, then indeed you should probably be tested. Usually lymph nodes are sent to a pathologist, who examines the lymph node. Typically the pathologist does NOT do an "HIV test" on the lymph node. Rather the pathologist looks at the lymph node for signs of infection or cancer. Sometimes a pathologist can surmise that a patient has HIV based on the way the lymph node appears. As for your concern at upsetting a doctor because you saw one vs. another, I can only say that it would be most unlikely that you will piss him off. I obviously can't guarantee this since I don't know your doctor. Patients are often very concerned about seeking opinions. It has been my experience that most (but not all) doctors are NOT bothered by this.

Good luck. BD

Declining CD4s from chemotherapy.
Impact of alcohol consumption

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint