AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Brain has JC virus and PML

My elder brother is an AIDS patient who has been in Hong Kong hospital over 3 months. Recently his doctor discovered his right brain has shadow and think it's JC virus (or disease:PML). Now his left side cannot move, including face/arm/hand/leg and he cannot even eat because his throat muscle cannot move properly. He is going to die. I sincerely hope you could advise me or the HongKong doctor how to do and what we can do at this critical moment. Thank you for your attention and time to read this message. Very Best Regards, Simon

Response from Dr. Dezube

The JC virus is a virus which infects the brain of advanced cancer patients and causes PML-- progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. PML can lead to neurologic deficits as indicated in your query. The best treatment for your brother would be to see that he is on antiretroviral medications (HIV drugs) that maximally suppress his viral load. Some patients do recover, particularly those whose viral loads respond to the HIV drugs.

One more lymph node question. Could my body be fighting HIV in only one place.
A Sailors Saga II