AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

When does Panretin gel take effect?

Hi Doctor. Thank you very much for your excellent work on this website. I have recently begun using panretin for my KS lesions. In your experience, how long does it take for a noticeable improvement to take place?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Panretin gel is currently the only patient-administered therapy approved for KS. It has been shown to shrink the KS tumors. Typically it takes 4 to 8 weeks to work. Panretin works in patients no matter what their CD4 counts are. Depending upon where your KS is, Panretin may be all that you need. It's ideal for the patient with a limited number of lesions (i.e. with not enough lesions to warrant chemotherapy). It may cause some redness at the site of application of the gel, in which case, you should decrease the frequency with which you apply it. I would also highly recommend that you take anti-retroviral medications if you are not already doing so. BD.

Swollen Glands- Should I be concerned?
Is the lipdystophy syndrome cancerous?