AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Yo-Yo lymph node

Prior to starting on antivirals in june 2000 I had sore lymph nodes under both my arms and on both sides of my neck. However, they disappeared shortly after starting on antivirals except from the lymph node on the left side of my neck which comes and goes all the time (however, it never becomes as large as it was in the pre-antivirals days). I guess it's nothing to worry about, probably just a reaction to some genital warts I'm having treated during the last months...?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It is not uncommon for lymph nodes to grow and shrink, the "yo-yo" effect you refer to. This is a sign of your body trying to fight off an infection (HIV infection or other infection). It is necessary to biopsy lymph nodes when one or two lymph nodes are way out of proportion to the other lymph nodes, or if you have systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss) which may indicate that something more serious is going on. BD.

Adult T-Cell Leukemia
Shingles and HIV