Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Yo-Yo lymph node
Mar 2, 2001

Prior to starting on antivirals in june 2000 I had sore lymph nodes under both my arms and on both sides of my neck. However, they disappeared shortly after starting on antivirals except from the lymph node on the left side of my neck which comes and goes all the time (however, it never becomes as large as it was in the pre-antivirals days). I guess it's nothing to worry about, probably just a reaction to some genital warts I'm having treated during the last months...?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It is not uncommon for lymph nodes to grow and shrink, the "yo-yo" effect you refer to. This is a sign of your body trying to fight off an infection (HIV infection or other infection). It is necessary to biopsy lymph nodes when one or two lymph nodes are way out of proportion to the other lymph nodes, or if you have systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, weight loss) which may indicate that something more serious is going on. BD.

Previous
Adult T-Cell Leukemia
Next
Shingles and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.