Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Adult T-Cell Leukemia
Mar 2, 2001

What are the symptoms of this disease and how can you be tested? Everywhere on line gives me this big, long bunch of mumbo jumbo. I just want to know the symptoms. Thank you so much. I am not a doctor, I just want the plain and simple facts, in laymen's terms.

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is a test for the virus, which causes Adult T-Cell Leukemia/lymphoma (ATLL). The virus is called HTLV-1. It is different than the virus which causes AIDS. Please note that if even you are infected by the virus, it does not necessarily mean that you have ATLL. The typical symptoms of ATLL are very swollen lymph nodes, large liver, large spleen, skin lesions, high calcium level, bone tumors, and leukemia cells in your blood.

A health care provider could make the diagnosis of ATLL by seeing the tumor cells in the blood (or in other places) and by sending off a test for the HTLV-1 virus. Hope this helps. BD.

Previous
worried about co-worker
Next
Yo-Yo lymph node

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.