AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Adult T-Cell Leukemia

What are the symptoms of this disease and how can you be tested? Everywhere on line gives me this big, long bunch of mumbo jumbo. I just want to know the symptoms. Thank you so much. I am not a doctor, I just want the plain and simple facts, in laymen's terms.

Response from Dr. Dezube

There is a test for the virus, which causes Adult T-Cell Leukemia/lymphoma (ATLL). The virus is called HTLV-1. It is different than the virus which causes AIDS. Please note that if even you are infected by the virus, it does not necessarily mean that you have ATLL. The typical symptoms of ATLL are very swollen lymph nodes, large liver, large spleen, skin lesions, high calcium level, bone tumors, and leukemia cells in your blood.

A health care provider could make the diagnosis of ATLL by seeing the tumor cells in the blood (or in other places) and by sending off a test for the HTLV-1 virus. Hope this helps. BD.

worried about co-worker
Yo-Yo lymph node