Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Molluscum Contagiousum and HIV
Mar 2, 2001

I know that this question can be answered by simply going to get an HIV test, but... I have been diagnosed with Molluscum Contagiousum then folliculitis... my dermatologist states that the M.C. may or may not be an STD of origin. I've had it for 9-10 months now, and the outbreaks seem to be diminishing. But now I have been diagnosed with Folliculitis... is this the natural evolution of eliminating M.C. from your body? This folliculitis is primarily on my arm.. they manifest as pimples that then go away, but leave a dark red/purple blotch that is not raised, or hurt, but is just there. They do seem to blanche out a little but when I am in a hot shower. What's going on with me?! My face also is getting blotchier than normal, and more prone to pimples. My goatee and one eyebrow also seem to get inflamed in spots, but that too ebbs and tides. Help! I am 25 y/o. My dermatologist has been scraping the M.C. which used to appear on the shaft of my penis and groin area, now just seems to be limited to the groin area, if at all, and he put me on doxycycline for 10 days at 100 mg x2 a day.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although molluscum are quite common in HIV'ers, most patients with molluscum do NOT have HIV. You indicate that you think you need to get HIV tested -- I would agree with that. The molluscum and the folliculitis you describe are extremely common conditions. I see these conditions quite frequently in both HIV-infected and HIV-negative individuals. Doxicycline is a very reasonable treatment; I prescribe it quite often. BD.

Previous
HIV survival outside the body; needles left around
Next
HIV Testing beyond 6 months

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.