The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I survived, but now I have anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder
Sep 27, 2002


Thanks fro your answer to the 16 May question about life expetancy. I needed that. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease and HIV the same day--the same phone call--in Dec. 2000. I did 8 mos. of biopsies/tests/chemo/and radiation, and started HAART therapy at teh same time. I am cancer-free and doing OK. I just didn't know "what will happen next" and have been being treated for anxiety and Post-traumatic stress disorder (after, within a month of my diagnoses, I witnessed a terrible accident at my workplace, where I supervise 100 people and 600 children). I agree, the anxiety and depression is "almost" as bad as the illnesses. I really want to live a long and healthy life. I don't drink, smoke, and I am in a committed and safe relationship. I turn 40 this year, and I hope I live to 90. Your forum has helped me several times. Thanks for all you do.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Congratulations on surviving. Anxiety and even post-traumatic stress are NOT unusual in cancer survivors. In time, as the years pass, your anxiety level should go down. Each year that you are farther and farther out from your chemotherapy, you'll be able to breath a deeper sigh of relief. If the anxiety and/or post-traumatic stress disorder are interfering with your life, then I would recommend either talking to a mental health counselor or taking anti-anxiety drugs or both (therapy plus anti-anxiety drugs). I also hope that you live to 90.

Does copper cause AIDS?
KS, Nodules in Main Bronchus, what should I do?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint