AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

KS treatment: Panretin gel-- Does it work?

My doctor has prescribed Panretin gel to help me with my KS. Can't he just change my dosage of protease inhibitors? Is this drug really that good?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Panretin is a gel which a patient can apply in the privacy of his/her home to his KS lesions. Panretin gel is FDA approved for KS. It's effective, but can take some time to work-- typically 4 weeks or so. Panretin can cause some inflammation at the site of the KS. You should try to use it once or twice a day depending upon whether it is causing redness. I would aim for twice a day, and then back off to once a day if the Panretin is causing inflammation.

As for the first part of your question-- can your provider change your dosage of protease inhibitor?-- This depends on your viral load. If you have active KS despite an absent viral load, then juggling your HIV medications may not necessarily help. On the other hand, if you have a viral load which is present, then you might get more mileage (in terms of control of KS) out of your HIV regimen if your care provider changes the drugs or their dosages.

Do you have AIDS if you have non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and HIV?
Does copper cause AIDS?