Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV survival outside the body; needles left around
Mar 2, 2001

My question stems from this situation: I used to do home health care and at times performed venipuncture on my patients. I used my puncture resistent box to dispose of my needles. I kept box in care bag which was usually kept on top of my closet shelf due to having small children. It had been at least 6 to 7 months since I had worked (therefore the last venipuncture was also 6 to 7 months prior) and I had taken my bag down from my closet to get a bandade. I mistakenly never returned the bag to the shelf. My 18 month old son was in bag. I am not even sure he went into box but I know he may have had the box, I was not in room. Even if in the worst case of my son being stuck by the needle, wouldnt HIV be no longer alive after 6 to 7 months. My physician didnt give me a clear answer. She did get him a blood test but it will take 8 weeks for the results. I am very worried and of couse upset that I was irresponsible but is it even a concern for HIV. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It would be incredibly unlikely that your son will get infected by such a scenario that you describe. HIV does not survive this long outside the body. TheBody.com has a link to this very commonly asked question. Here it is

www.thebody.com/cdc/survival.html

And please dispose of those needles in a safe manner as soon as possible.

Previous
Are warts a sign of HIV?
Next
Molluscum Contagiousum and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.