AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Are warts a sign of HIV?

I think I've been "exposed" during a recent "high risk". I tested at 3-month which came back negative. I spoke to my ID Dr. and asked for a HIV test (which he refused). He said he had not reason (observation) to suspect hiv. My question is I think I've got anal wart (never had any before) around 10 weeks post exposure and is this a sign that I'm seroconverting? Would that be an indication for my ID to retest?

Response from Dr. Dezube

1) I can't imagine why you were refused an HIV test. Given your high risk exposure, I would recommend an HIV test. Your local AIDS organization could certainly help you find a way to get tested. 2) Warts do NOT necessarily indicate that you have HIV or that you are seroconverting. HOWEVER, warts are indeed common in HIV'ers. Warts are caused by a sexually transmitted virus -- the human papillomavirus. The fact that you have warts would indicate to me that you have one sexually transmitted disease and therefore are at risk at getting another sexually transmitted disease. So please get tested. This all said, the majority of folks with warts turn out not to have HIV.

Is halving CHOP dose still effective?
HIV survival outside the body; needles left around