Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abnormal Pap Smear
Mar 2, 2001

I just got a call from my doctor about a pap smear coming back abnormal and they think it is a virus can you tell me about other viruses and symptoms or can it just be AIDS

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'd be better able to answer this question if I knew whether you are referring to a cervical Pap smear or an anal Pap smear. In both cases, abnormal Pap smears are often caused by the human papillomavirus. Although abnormal Pap smears are more common in HIV'ers than in patients who are not infected by HIV, an abnormal Pap smear does NOT represent an HIV infection or AIDS in any way. In fact, most patients with abnormal PAP smears do NOT have HIV infection. Since abnormal Pap smears can be a sign of pre-cancer, it is VERY important that you follow up with your health care provider who will almost certainly perform further examinations depending upon the nature of the abnormal Pap smear. Good luck.

Previous
Internal warts, and yet nothing external?
Next
Is halving CHOP dose still effective?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.