AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Bone Marrow examination for neutropenia

I'll try to be as brief as possible. Up until about October 2000 I had not taken any HIV medication for about 4 years. In October my T4 count was about 3, viral load 800,000. My blood tests indicated neutropenia. At that time I began the following treatments: sustiva, DDI, D4T as well as periodic injections of Neupogen. My viral load did go way down to about 9,000. However neutropenia was always a big concern for my doctor. Due to side effects I had to go off sustiva and DDI and went on 3TC, Viramune and D4T. After two weeks I had a serious reaction to viramune and have had to stop all medications. A genotype was done and I'm waiting for results. However the neutropenia is still a big problem and I will be seeing a hematologist for this. My doctor has indicated a possible bone marrow disease and recommends a possible biopsy. What is your opinion and what is involved in a biopsy? Thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although a bone marrow examination is rarely described as a pleasant experience, in your case, I do believe it is indicated. Given your low CD4 count, there are many different disease entities (various infections, various cancers, various benign conditions) which can cause neutropenia. I see no other way of getting the information. The procedure usually takes about 20 minutes or so. The doctor will both aspirate out a marrow specimen and take a chip of the bone. These samples will be sent to both the microbiology lab (to look for infection) and the pathology lab (to look for a variety of conditions). The doctor will numb the area with lidocaine (novocaine). I also use ativan in virtually all my patients. Ativan relaxes them and makes the bone marrow much easier to tolerate. It is, however, difficult to give ativan to patients who need to drive home after the procedure since it can make you drowsy. Good Luck with the procedure.

Lymphoma; IL-2 to boosts CD4 cells
Internal warts, and yet nothing external?