AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Are tanning beds dangerous?

A question about tanning beds. could this speed up progression to KS? Could it do other harmful things as well?

Response from Dr. Dezube

This question is obviously a very sensitive one. I'd first like to give a disclaimer that I am only giving my opinion and nothing more than that.

Although it is unlikely for the tanning solution to speed up your KS, I usually advise my patients not to use tanning beds. Many of my patients do not heed my warnings. HIV-infected patients are prone to skin cancer. Such cancers include basal cell cancers, squamous cells cancers, and perhaps even melanoma. I do not believe that the long-term effects of the tanning beds are well-known enough for me to be able to say that they are safe.

Are armpit nodes part of normal anatomy?
Is HIV present even when they are not swollen?