AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does Hodgkins mean you are HIV+?

My husband was ill 4 years ago and went to the doctor..swollen nodes all that...the doctor tested for several possibilities (one being HIV) and it came back that he had Hodgkins Disease. He has been in remission for 3 years and every time I research this cancer it seems people always relate it to HIV. Please help?

Response from Dr. Dezube

Most patients with Hodgkin's disease (HD) do NOT have HIV. If your husband is HIV negative, then he does not HIV. It is indeed true that patients with HIV are at a higher risk of getting HD than patients who do not have HIV. This is the reason that most articles on HD will mention how HD relates to HIV. Nevertheless, if a patient has HD, then this does NOT mean that (s)he automatically has either HIV or AIDS. I'm glad to hear that your husband is in remission. Hope this answers your question. BD.

There is HOPE after a diagnosis of lymphoma
Anal Cancer Treatment