AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

KS Confusion; Do I have KS?

I have read so much info regarding KS until i am confused. The reason for my question is because i have spot have appeared on my back. I have read that they are red to purple nodules, bluish-black nodules, they flatten out with treatment, they are circles, oblong, shape of an ellipse, it appears on the legs, etc.... I am getting confused. I know that i should be tested but my question what is the likelihood of this being KS? I have been with my husband for 13 years and no outside partners. This spot has been on my back for about 3 months now.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I imagine that the likelihood that you have KS is small based on what you describe. However, my reply to you is the same reply to every query entitled "Do I have KS?"

Please permit me to re-run my response from Sept 16, 2001. It's applicable to your query--

In the past months or so, I have received about 30 queries which describe pigmented lesions, stretch marks, pimples and so on and so on. Some describe red lesions, others purple or brown lesions, and others lesions that either do or do not blanch (turn white). Some of the queries are from HIV + folks, some from HIV - folks. They all ask the same question. What do I think? Is it cancer? Is it KS?

Basically there is no way to know whether a lesion is KS or not without a biopsy. KS is a disease which is really diagnosed by a pathologist looking at a biopsy specimen under the microscope. If you go to a clinician who sees alot of KS, (s)he can certainly give you a presumptive diagnosis. There are however many, many different skin conditions which can cause lesions. KS is unlikely in HIV negative folks, though it can occur.

If you really are concerned that you have KS (and I'm referring to all thirty of you who have written to me), then first get HIV tested. You need to know. If you are HIV negative, then mostly likely you do not have KS. If you are HIV positive and have a pigmented lesion, then by all means get this checked out. Most KS lesions can be readily dealt with. There is no reason to agonize about this. The sooner you get seen, the sooner it can be taken care of.

So many of you query this site when it comes to lesions because of fear of the unknown, fear of seeking medical care, and so on. I urge all of you to get that lesion evaluated if it's driving you crazy. Don't lose any more sleep over it.

Best of Luck. BD.

How many lymph nodes are in the body?
Side effects of Aldara Cream; It helped my warts, but now the area is irritated.