AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

How many lymph nodes are in the body?

What is the total number of lymphnodes in the body?

My mother had 29 removed in just the rectal area and that seems like alot.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Lymph nodes are a collection of cells which help the immune system fight off foreign organisms. Basically every area in the body from the scalp all the way down to the feet as well as everything inside has a drainage pattern to lymph nodes. There are truly COUNTLESS numbers of lymph nodes in the body. Twenty nine lymph nodes in the rectal area is alot, but it is certainly not out of the ordinary. I imagine that if your mother had these lymph nodes removed, the doctors will be checking out if they are normal lymph nodes, or alternatively if they contain something which should not be there (such as cancer).

Do I have KS? This is for all of you who write to me about spot which is driving you crazy.
KS Confusion; Do I have KS?