AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Continuing HAART during Chemotherapy?

I will be receiving Chemotherapy and Radiation for Anal Cancer. I am currently on a Zerit, Epivir, Norvir and Saquinivir. Are there any potential drug interactions that you are aware of or can you guide me to a resource that may help me with obtaining this info? Also, in your opinion, should my cocktail change or stop during my cancer therapy?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask a very important question. In fact the issue of drug interactions between HAART and chemotherapy is currently the focus of a National Institute of Health (NIH) trial. The definitive answer will not be known for some time. So what should we do now? I personally keep just about all my patients on HAART (HIV drugs) while they are on chemotherapy. I tend to avoid AZT since chemotherapy and AZT typically do not mix well. The norvir should be okay so long as it is low dose Norvir (100 or 200 mg twice a day). Hopefully you're not on any more than this. Good luck with the chemotherapy and radiation. Many of my patients are long time survivors of this chemoradiation regimen.

Kaposi's sarcoma in a lymph node.
I've completed chemotherapy and I'm scared