AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

White patches on back of throat! Help!

Hello to you. My ? is why do i have white patches on very back of throat and red bumps on the thing on the roof of my mouth that looks like a punching bag? Have been tested for aids, and was negative, but that was more than a year ago. While i've had these patches I have been seen by a doctor and he says no sign of infection. i dont understand that! My throat hurts yet i have no sign of infection and i have trouble swallowing and throat is sore also. Lymph nodes seen by doc said a little swollen on left side. Anyway, i dont know what to think, they come and go, mostly stay. i dont think i have aids, all tests ive ever taken are negative and so is my partners test (sex). So, still i wonder if I should be re-tested or what? Please help! Am quite concerned.

Response from Dr. Dezube

If all your HIV tests are negative, then most likely you do not have HIV. Have you had a throat culture performed?? White patches can often be a sign of thrush (a fungal infection). Could you have a sexually transmitted infection? Have you had oral sex and if so, have you told your provider. Sometimes patients are reluctant to tell their providers, and then the providers don't check for the necessary infectious agents when they send off a culture. If your symptoms continue, I would recommend that you see a throat specialist (an ENT doctor, also known as an otolaryngologist). Hope this helps. BD.

Desperate Do I have KS?
Kaposi's sarcoma in a lymph node.