AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

How do I increase my CD-4 count in the face of chemotherapy?

Hey Dr. Dezube and thank you for your site: It's the best... I have severe hemophilia A, HIV, Hep C, and now Large B Cell Lymphoma (No major problems until the lymphoma). Every 12 hours, I take: Viracept 1,000 mg, Zerit 40mg, Epivir 150mg. Recent lab results taken after being back on HIV meds for 30-days after my 37-day drug holiday: 9-19-2000 cd4 155 RNA PCR Quant 320 copies/ml I was taking chemo when this blood sample was drawn and now I am in radiation. Chemo reduced the enlarged node in the groin by about 50, radiation didn't reduce it during the first 20 sessions. How do I get my CD4 count up? (question shortened)

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask an important question about CD4 cells in the setting of chemotherapy. So longer as you remain on chemotherapy, particularly the potent chemotherapy used for lymphoma, your CD4 cells may remain down. Once your chemotherapy is completed, then in time the CD4 count will rise. There are studies investigating the use of interleukin-2 (IL-2) in this setting, but this is still experimental. So your CD4s should rise in time, particularly since you seem to be responding to your HIV regimen. The viral load of 320 copies/ml is quite reassuring. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix to the low CD4 count issue in the setting of chemo.

Neuropathy- help needed
Desperate Do I have KS?