AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Spleen Cancer

Can you give me info on spleen cancer, how it is detected, what the prognosis usually is, how long a person can go without treatment, and how will it spread. thank you

Response from Dr. Dezube

The spleen is nothing more than a giant lymph node. Like any lymph node, cancer can arise in the spleen in which case it would be more like a splenic lymphoma, or one can have a cancer which spreads (metastasizes) to the spleen. So spleen cancer can mean a few different things. If one is talking about splenic lymphoma (lymphoma of the spleen), then it is usually not much different from lymphoma of the lymph node. Most lymphomas of the lymph node (or of the spleen) are quite sensitive to chemotherapy. Often patients do quite well. There are many types of lymphomas, some are more virulent than the others.

So it's a bit hard to answer your question since I would really need to know what type of spleen cancer you are referring to. Spleen cancer just tells me that there is cancer is the spleen without specifying the type.

Last stage, please how long does she have?
Anal cancer and chemo/radiation - side effects of both? How do you treat HIV+ patients?