AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Last stage, please how long does she have?

My cousin has AIDS. She's in the hospital right now and she's very weak. She has lost 60 lbs, keeps having seizures, she has gonorrhea in her throat, and keeps saying crazy things. How long do you think she has,and could it range for up to a couple of years. An answer would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I wanted to post this question even though there's no answer to it. The reason that I wanted to post it is because I'm asked this so very often. Although in the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, seizures and a 60 pound weight loss would portend a grave prognosis, these days some patients do quite well. For example, some patients present with very late stage AIDS and all its associated complications, yet they have never been on HIV drugs. When they go on these drugs, they often have a miraculous recovery. My message to you is not to give up hope on your cousin. Her doctor could give you a better idea about her prognosis. I could only begin to describe her prognosis if I knew what medicines she took, what her CD4 count was, her viral load, what infections she's had and so on, and so on.

diet and cancer; does sugar stop your immune system
Spleen Cancer