AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Red cheeks/acne; could this be HIV?

Hello Dr. Dezube: I had a low risk encounter 5 months ago. Was tested at 2 1/2 weeks, it was negative. I have never had acne in my life! I am 42 and I have outbreaks on both cheeks. I went to the drs and they gave me ointment. What I would like to know, is acne a late sign or am I just being paranoid. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

First it's not completely clear to me that what you describe is acne. There are many causes of red checks. What type of ointment were you given and is it working? It sounds like you are NOT HIV positive given your negative HIV test. Although acne is pretty common in HIVers, many, if not most, folks with acne do NOT have HIV. I would not describe you as paranoid, just very concerned.

Worried about lymphoma coming back
My lymph nodes; am I prone to lymphoma