AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Worried about lymphoma coming back

Dr Dezube. Again thank you for all your valuable work on this site. Dr Dezube i completed chemotherapy 2 weeks ago. Now in remission. But last week started having night sweats again. I told my Dr and he checked me out, my spleen is normal size and no lymph nodes palpable. Why I am getting night sweats now. My VL is undetectable and T cells are low 200. I am very tired but that's because i started a new job. Should i be so scared about this. I also wrote the letter of hope. thanks john.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear John: Congratulations on completing your course of chemotherapy. Every human being (whether or not they've had cancer) has symptoms from time to time, such symptoms can include fatigue, night sweats, fevers, diarrhea and so on. It is VERY natural for someone like you, who has just completed chemotherapy, to ascribe symptoms to tumor recurrence. I am not trying to minimize your concerns, but just to let you know that what you are experiencing now (i.e. fear) is totally totally normal. Most of these symptoms do NOT signal tumor recurrence. HOWEVER, if the symptoms persist (i.e. persistent fever, persistent night sweats), then it will be important to have repeat CT scans to look for a recurrence. Tiredness is to be expected. In my experience, it usually takes about 3 months or so to really recover from the treatments. Hopefully by the time you get this message, your symptoms will be better, but again, if they persist, you will need to have these symptoms evaluated. Hope this helps. BD. (PS: Thank you for your letter of hope -- I printed it out a gave it to some of my patients about to embark on a course of chemo)

Blood in my semen during ejaculation
Red cheeks/acne; could this be HIV?