AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Anal pain; i'm ashamed of having my butt checked

Hey Doc

For the past four months I'v been having this ill feeling, weakness, burning on my bladder and rectum while urinating, anal pain and swelling. But so far no bleeding. I lost about 60 pounds during this time. My friend said that I could be cancer and from what he stated I'm now affaid of going to see a doctor and ashamed of having my butt checked. And no it couldn't be sex related because I haven't had sex yet. What do you think is wrong with me?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I got a pang in my heart when I read of your feelings of shame which are preventing you from getting the care you need. Most AIDS organizations or gay organizations should be able to provide you with a list of health providers who would be sensitive to your needs. You need to be evaluated. Please don't let your feelings interfere with your care. Can your friends help find a supportive physician. They are certainly out there. Please seek help and seek it soon. If you can't get past this shame issue, I would even recommend some mental health counseling.

anal warts / bleeding
diet and cancer; does sugar stop your immune system