Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anal pain; i'm ashamed of having my butt checked
Sep 5, 2002

Hey Doc

For the past four months I'v been having this ill feeling, weakness, burning on my bladder and rectum while urinating, anal pain and swelling. But so far no bleeding. I lost about 60 pounds during this time. My friend said that I could be cancer and from what he stated I'm now affaid of going to see a doctor and ashamed of having my butt checked. And no it couldn't be sex related because I haven't had sex yet. What do you think is wrong with me?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I got a pang in my heart when I read of your feelings of shame which are preventing you from getting the care you need. Most AIDS organizations or gay organizations should be able to provide you with a list of health providers who would be sensitive to your needs. You need to be evaluated. Please don't let your feelings interfere with your care. Can your friends help find a supportive physician. They are certainly out there. Please seek help and seek it soon. If you can't get past this shame issue, I would even recommend some mental health counseling.

Previous
anal warts / bleeding
Next
diet and cancer; does sugar stop your immune system

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.