AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

anal warts / bleeding

Dear Dr. Dezube This past May I had some anal warts removed. But before that I noticed blood in my stool. Since having the warts removed the bleeding has reocurred. What am I looking at? Could it be cancerous? what exactly is causing the bleeding? Sometimes it drips fast. Sincerely, Confused

Response from Dr. Dezube

Bleeding in the stool should always be evaluated. Although bleeding hemorrhoids are probably one of the most common causes of blood to drip fast, there are so many other things this could be. Probably the best way to evaluate blood in the stool is to have a colonoscopy. I imagine that one of your health providers will suggest this or a similar procedure to you. It's also important to have your blood count checked to see if this bleeding has lead to anemia. Although this could be cancer, there are many conditions which your bleeding could represent other than cancer. You also may just be bleeding from the place from which the warts were removed. Only further evaluation will let you know what's going on.

hiv+breast cancer+radiation; a double whammy
Anal pain; i'm ashamed of having my butt checked