The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do we do now?
Mar 1, 2001

My husband is HIV+ with a non-detectable viral load and a CD4 of 150. Because of problems my husband had with breathing (wheezing), the Dr. ordered a lung x-ray. "Something" showed up so a CT scan was ordered. The results of the CT scan says of the "nodule": . . . "There is a lobular, 2 cm, soft tissue nodule located in the posterior segment of the right upper lobe. It has irregular margins. There is no internal calcium. The appearance is suggestive of a primary or metastatic malignancy, although a granulomatous process could also account for this. I have two questions: 1. I have never heard of "granulomatous" what is this? 2. What is the next step with this kind of test result? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your husband needs to have this nodule biopsied as soon as possible. If it is cancer, then the sooner you find out the better. Biopsies can be performed either by a CT guided fine needle biopsy or by a bronchoscopy. Which technique will be done in your husband's case will depend upon several factors, such as the exact location of the lesion. A granulomatous process refers to the fact that certain diseases, such as tuberculosis, cause lesions, which are created by inflammatory cells. In other words, cells, which are seen in inflammation, group together and form a lesion, which may look like cancer on the CT scan, but is not cancerous.

does KS heal itself ever?
Is 25 and one half weeks close enough?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint