Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Body pain; eosinophils
Mar 1, 2001

I had a low-risk exposure over a year ago. I've had a myriad of symptoms since including psoriasis on the scalp, a giardia infection (six months post), strange rashes, low-grade fevers for three weeks (nine months post). Recently I have had body "pain." The area below both of my breasts (bone, rib cage) is "sore". I have felt it, and it doesn't hurt to the touch. I've had days where any part of my body could ache, from my neck on down to my ankles. Sometimes my muscles ache, especially my thighs and triceps. I also noticed two weeks ago that after bumping my thigh into the side of a desk, I had yellow bruising...no "blue" to start out with. Coincidently, I had gone to my physician for a check-up around the same time these "pains" started. She ran a CBC, Cho, and did an ANA (since it runs in my family and the history of psoriasis). The tests came back "excellent", although I noticed that my white and red blood cells are in the low-normal range (but so are both of my parents who are healthy). The one abnormal number was a slightly elevated EOS (eosinophil) count. I was tested 3, 4, and 7 months post-exposure and all tests were negative. I am so tired of worrying about this. I didn't request an HIV test this time because all the experts state that I should have tested positive by 6 months. What do you think I should do?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear your HIV negative. It's obviously impossible for me to know what you have over the internet. Although high eosinophil counts can occasionally give a clue to underlying disease, more often they do not lead to a diagnosis. It is important that you be followed closely by your physician. High eosinophil counts can be seen if there's an underlying allergy (e.g. asthma, or an allergy to a drug), rheumatologic disease (e.g something that causes a high ANA), parasites, cancer, and a bunch of other conditions. I imagine that your high eosinophil count may be related to your psoriasis or to your family history of ANA. I'm sorry that I don't have an easy answer, but it seems that your doctor is ordering the correct tests. I would recommend a chest x-ray if you have not already had one.

Previous
Is chemo always a must if K.S. found in node?
Next
Radiation of Thymus and the immune system

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.