AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Kaposi's Sarcoma: One lesion only

Dear Dr. Dezube, I was diagnosed with AIDS in 1995 after the biopsy of a single lesion from my right buttock proved to be Kaposi's sarcoma. I have never had a another lesion since. Why would I have only one lesion after five and a half years? I also fear Kaposi's sarcoma invading internal organs? What are the odds of this happening and what signs and symptoms would I look for? I thank you for your time in reading and answering my questions. Sincerely, Mark

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Mark, KS often acts in funny ways -- I have patients in my practice who would develop 10 new lesions per week were it not for chemotherapy, and other patients like you who develop one new lesion every five years. Consider yourself very lucky! Typically the pace of developing new KS is slower in patients who are on highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART), who have high CD4 counts, and low viral loads. Since you have such low volume of KS, most likely you do not have internal disease. I would recommend that once yearly you have a chest x-ray to check for KS of the lung, and once yearly you have your stool checked for blood, an indication that you might have KS of the gastrointestinal tract. Your fear of the KS invading internally is shared by many patients in my practice. Fortunately, however, this is an uncommon event in patients with such low volume disease as yours. Hope this helps. BD.

Brain tumor; Is it HIV infection
Is chemo always a must if K.S. found in node?