AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Concerned of Possible HIV-Infection/low grade dysplasia

I am a 24 year old female with a 3 year old son. During my pregnancy (in 1997) I was tested for HIV & it came back negative. My son is also negative. However, just recently my ob/gyn diagnosed me with having cervical low-grade dysplasia. He said it could be anything from irritation to a bad diet, etc. But I read in a book that it could probably be a sign of HIV. If I was to get tested now, three years later, could the virus still be undetected if I was infected? Also, if I don't get tested, wouldn't I be showing symptoms by now? Sincerely, concerned

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although it is true that cervical dysplasia can be seen in HIV-infected women, most women with cervical dysplasia do NOT have HIV. Cervical dysplasia is most commonly caused by HPV (human papillomavirus) virus. I would highly suggest that you get HIV tested, not because I think you'll test positive, but rather because you need to know. Knowledge is power. If you test negative, you'll have peace of mind. If you test positive, then you and your provider will know what you are dealing with.

HPV...CIN II high grade dysplasia/can this be KS
Leukoplakia? Does it mean I have HIV?