AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Abnormal PAP smear/Cervical Biopsy/HPV?

A mid-20s friend has been really depressed recently. She told me that she had abnormal cells in a PAP smear and had to get a cervical biopsy. She told me she was taking a medication (antibotic?) a week prior to the biopsy and it was making her 'act funny'. I've never heard of any 'pre-biopsy' medication for cancer? Do you need to take antibotics for HPV? She has also (out of the blue) expressed an interest in doing an AIDS ride. I don't feel like she wants to talk about it, but I want to try to help her? Any advice?

Response from Dr. Dezube

There are many reasons for having abnormal cells on a PAP smear; not all the reasons have to do with either cancer or HPV infection. For instance, if someone has a trichimonas infection, then this can cause an abnormal PAP smear. We treat these patients with antibiotics (e.g. Flagyl) and then repeat the PAP smear. I wonder if this is what your friend has. There is no antibiotic for HPV, so she indeed may have something other than HPV and cancer. As for her sudden interest in doing an AIDS ride, all the more to her. We can use everyone's help for the cause. I wouldn't assume that she necessarily has HIV infection just because she suddenly expressed interest in the ride. Try not to jump to conclusions.

Shingles and high CD4-cell count
HPV...CIN II high grade dysplasia/can this be KS