Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HPV and heterosexual men; are we at risk?
Aug 26, 2002

I am a 39 year old heterosexual man. I like having women lick and "french kiss" my asshole. Am I at increased risk for anal cancer, via HPV or some other cause? If so, should i have an anal pap? How often? In short, what should I do?

I would grately appreciate an answer as i find this embarrassing to discuss with my regular doctor.

Response from Dr. Dezube

The human papilloma virus (HPV), also known as the wart virus, is found commonly in the cervical and anal areas, but it can also be found in the oral cavity (mouth). I imagine that it is indeed possible that you are at increased risk for HPV disease, though I also imagine that this risk is quite low. Part of the reason the risk is low is that the strains of HPV which like to live in the oral cavity, are different than the strains which like to live in or by your butt. So based on the acts you describe, I would view your risk as low, but not zero.

I think an anal PAP smear is reasonable, though based on the info you are providing, the likelihood is that it will show something is small. If the PAP smear is completely normal and if your rectal exam is normal, as per you medical provider, than a repeat Anal Pap smear is probably not necessary for another year or two. Often PAP smears are indeterminate (atypical cells of unknown signficance). If you get a report like this, then you may need a bit more closer follow-up. Obviously if your PAP has truly abnormal cells, then further evaluation is necessary. Another reason that you may want to get a PAP smear is for your peace of mind.

Previous
AIDS and Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
Next
you said lymph nodes are common; what if just one lymph node is swollen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.