AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

AIDS and Chronic lymphocytic leukemia

I have a patient 53 y/o female, with a stable 6 years relationship with a boy friend who she did now was hiv + all along and they had unprotected sex. Two years ago he became sick with AIDS and since then is stable on triple therapy. She has been check repeatedly for HIV and is negative always. Several months ago I referred her to the hematologist because of lymphocytosis, fatigue and adenomegaly and acording to lymphocyte typing he made the DX of Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Could this be related to HIV? Should I keep ordering HIV follow-ups

Response from Dr. Dezube

I think in this case, her chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and her boyfriend's HIV status are just a coincidence. I am not aware of any association between HIV and CLL. (There is however a weak association between HIV and myeloma, which is a cousin to CLL). I would not recommend ordering further HIV tests in your CLL patient unless she has continued exposure to HIV.

How can you tell when a lymph node should be biopsied?
HPV and heterosexual men; are we at risk?