The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hodgkin's disease; how does it present?
Mar 1, 2001

Hi Dr , I have a question. How does Hodgkin's disease present???? I'm HIV negative 20 years old, but I have this bump on my neck just below my chin on my left side. I am not sure if this is a lymph node or not. It is not tender, but it is movable, and rubbery. It is small(about 3/4 of an inch) and I've had this for about 7 months. I keep feeling on it, every day. No night sweats, no fever, and I've gained 5 pounds. I am debating about whether to make an appointment with my doctor. Can Hodgkin's tumors be seen with the naked eye?? How big are they usually and where do they usually present?? Thank you for your time, you are doing a good job.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hodgkin's disease can present with a lump just as you describe. HOWEVER, the vast majority of lumps and bumps, particularly in 20 year olds, are just benign swellings. Since you had this for 7 months, the safest thing to do is to have it removed. Only a pathologist can tell you exactly what it is. Remember our motto: "When in doubt, take it out". The removal of a lymph node is a relatively minor procedure. You also need the peace of mind of knowing what you are dealing with. Please write back and let me know what it turns out to be. In the unlikely event that it does indeed turn out to be Hodgkin's, then please know that it is usually both treatable and curable. Good luck. BD.

Is it safe to continue CHOP? anal fissure
bone cracking- is this HIV or cancer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint