AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Hodgkin's disease; how does it present?

Hi Dr , I have a question. How does Hodgkin's disease present???? I'm HIV negative 20 years old, but I have this bump on my neck just below my chin on my left side. I am not sure if this is a lymph node or not. It is not tender, but it is movable, and rubbery. It is small(about 3/4 of an inch) and I've had this for about 7 months. I keep feeling on it, every day. No night sweats, no fever, and I've gained 5 pounds. I am debating about whether to make an appointment with my doctor. Can Hodgkin's tumors be seen with the naked eye?? How big are they usually and where do they usually present?? Thank you for your time, you are doing a good job.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hodgkin's disease can present with a lump just as you describe. HOWEVER, the vast majority of lumps and bumps, particularly in 20 year olds, are just benign swellings. Since you had this for 7 months, the safest thing to do is to have it removed. Only a pathologist can tell you exactly what it is. Remember our motto: "When in doubt, take it out". The removal of a lymph node is a relatively minor procedure. You also need the peace of mind of knowing what you are dealing with. Please write back and let me know what it turns out to be. In the unlikely event that it does indeed turn out to be Hodgkin's, then please know that it is usually both treatable and curable. Good luck. BD.

Is it safe to continue CHOP? anal fissure
bone cracking- is this HIV or cancer