AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Are there HAART drugs that also inhibit or suppress KS?

I have been taking Combivir and Viramune ever since I tested positive about a year ago. I had a small KS lesion on my ankle which prompted my being tested for HIV. In about 6 mos another one appeared an inch away. No others have appeared. My CD4 cells are 500 and viral load is undetectable. Is there any other HAART meds that would fight my KS and still keep my viral load and CD4 cells figures the same (or even better? THANKS!?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It sounds like you are doing extremely well on your combination of Combivir and Viramune. I would NOT recommend that you change this regimen. Your current regimen is well-tolerated both short-term and long-term. HAART meds have been shown both to decrease the size of KS lesions as well as to prevent the development of new KS lesions. Although there are some laboratory experiments which show that protease inhibitors may be more effective than non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (sustiva, viramune, rescriptor) in terms of KS, in clinical practice I believe that all these drugs are equally effective. Any HAART med which keeps the CD4 cells high, the viral loads low, and has a low side effect profile is okay by me. So please don't rock the boat.

Can testosterone gel stimulate tumors?
Panretin gel- Is it the fountain of youth?