The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can testosterone gel stimulate tumors?
Aug 24, 2002

Dr., Thank you for your great answers. After suffering from horrendous fatigue my doctor said that my 204 reading on the testosterone test (which has a range of 200-800) was way too low so I have been on Androgel 5 every day which has taken me up to about 600 and i can work okay now. I have been plagued by aggressive and multiple (supposedly)harmless lipomas which prompted me to forgo my lipid changing Agenerase and all P.I.s for another treatment. Can the gel itself also stimulate these things? Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Many years ago when testosterone supplements came into vouge, there were concerns raised that testosterone could stimulate tumors, such as Kaposi's sarcoma. These concerns were based on laboratory experiments. HOWEVER, to my knowledge there is no evidence, when it comes to people, that testosterone stimulates tumors such as Kaposi's sarcoma, lipomas or other tumors. The one exception is prostate cancer. Testosterone will stimulate prostate cancer; patients with prostate cancer should NEVER take testosterone supplements. In fact, I check the PSA level of my patients who take testosterone supplements. The PSA is a blood test which, when elevated, may signify that something is going on in your prostate gland. In your case, I imagine that the testosterone has little or nothing to do with your lipomas.

Recent KS Diagnosis despite a high CD4 count; how do I know if I have internal KS
Are there HAART drugs that also inhibit or suppress KS?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint